I have had a really rough few months. My year started off pretty well, and I was excited about my last semester of high school. Then, my mom broke her leg, and I was helping her get around. Then, I fell and split my elbow open and needed stitches. I have also been having a lot of back problems for a long time that the doctors haven’t been able to figure out, and I have been having testing often. Then, my grandmother died in March, and she was my favorite person in the whole world. And now, I had an ovarian cyst rupture. I seriously hope that I can have some good luck soon as it sounds like a lot more fun.
I have so many things to write about when I have time, but I am still recovering and I have a LOT of school to make up before graduation.
Just some quick thoughts and I will write posts on these later.
1. We don’t make it very easy on patients to get tests and results. Schedules are very rigid and if you need to reschedule, say for a funeral, then it can be weeks before you get the new appointment.
2. Directions need to be clear. Even something as simple as stitches had us a little confused on what to do.
3. Doctors should not get a pass for being rude just because they are a doctor. I am tired of hearing excuses that they are great diagnosticians but they just aren’t good at communicating.
4. Hospitalists are like substitute teachers. They are just subbing in for the actual doctor and often don’t have enough information or ability to make a change.
5. Some of healthcare is just actually understanding that the patient is having a really hard time and acknowledging that there isn’t much that can be done to make it easier. This is a hard process.
6. Nurses can make a huge difference in peoples lives as I found out when my grandmother was dying.
I will try to write some here and there, but I wanted to say hi and explain where i have been lately. I have some speaking engagements coming up, and I am always looking for new ones, especially after May when I graduate! Please let me know how you are doing and thoughts you have on the above. I love hearing from you.
3 thoughts on “Rough Few Months”
Morgan, I am so sorry for all that has been going on in your family, and especially for you, with the passing of your grandmother.
I can only hope the second half of 2015 is kinder to you
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much. I also hope that the rest of the year is better.
Thank you so much. Things are going better lately 🙂